Family Law

The Law Offices of Tara R. Parker, PLLC, with office in Flint, Michigan, provides comprehensive family law services to clients in Genesee, Ingham, Saginaw, and Bay counties, and the surrounding areas.  Attorney Tara R. Parker is the founder and principal attorney in the firm. She is a practitioner of family law who has helped clients affordably and effectively resolve their legal disputes. She will work hard to ensure your rights and interests are protected through every phase of your family law case.

Michigan Family Attorney Tara R. Parker

Attorney Tara R. Parker is a dedicated family lawyer who provides high-quality, affordable legal counsel to clients facing difficult family legal disputes. She represents clients in a wide range of cases, including divorce and child custody matters. She has experience in family law as a former staff attorney for Legal Services of Eastern Michigan and as the founder of her own firm.  She dedicates a significant portion of her practice to guiding clients through complex family disputes, providing high-quality legal advice and compassionate counsel. As a practitioner of family law, she will provide the legal guidance you need to achieve the best resolution possible for you and your family.

Practice Area: Family Law

At The Law Offices of Tara R. Parker, PLLC, we provide legal counsel in a wide range of family law matters, including, but not limited to:

  • Divorce
  • Child Custody
  • Parenting Time
  • Change of Domicile

One of the more emotionally charged areas of law is family law. When families become divided and issues of divorce, child custody, parenting time, and changes in the domicile/legal residence of the child arise, there can be a great deal of discord. Sometimes, couples are able to resolve their issues through counseling, or by other means, and resume their relationships; other times, the decision to file for a divorce is made, which can be an extremely difficult decision for many to make.


Depending on whether children are born during the course of a marriage or whether a couple is without children, the length of time it takes to complete the divorce process will vary. A married couple without minor children may finalize their divorce within a minimum two-month time period; whereas, married couples with minor children can expect the process to take a minimum of six months to complete. During the interim, motions can be filed to request temporary orders relating to such concerns as child custody, child support, parenting time, exclusive use and possession of the marital home, and preservation of assets.

Child Custody

In establishing child custody, it is important to address Michigan’s 12 best Interest of the Child Factors, which are taken into consideration by the judge when he or she makes a determination on your case. Some of the factors addressed include the parties’ moral fitness, the emotional ties that exist between the child and the parties, and who provides such basic necessities as food, clothing, and medical care. Michigan Child Custody Act, MCL 722.23. If a child custody order is already in place and a significant change of circumstances has occurred or there is proper cause for a modification to be made, a party may file a motion to modify the current custody order.

Parenting Time

When establishing parenting time, the court will review a list of factors before making its decision with regard to the frequency, type, and duration of parenting time awarded to each party. For instance, the court will want to know if the child has any special needs, what the age of the minor child is, whether there are any issues of abuse or neglect, etc. MCL 722.27a. If a parenting time order is already in place and there has been a significant change in circumstances or if proper cause is shown, a motion to modify the parenting time can be filed with the court.

Change of Domicile

Once a child custody order is established, if one parent decides to move more than 100 miles from the other party, language in the order usually requires that a Change of Domicile motion is filed. MCL 722.31. Changing one’s legal residence or domicile without the required court approval can have a negative impact on the moving party and upon notification to the court can require that party to come before the court at a Show Cause/Contempt hearing, which could result in fines, payment of the other parties’ attorney fees, jail time and, depending on the circumstances, make up parenting time for the other party. For these reasons, following the proper procedures is in the best interest of all parties.

We know that family legal disputes can be very stressful — that is why it is always our goal to provide the legal counsel you need to swiftly resolve your case. We work closely with our clients to identify their goals and to provide meaningful counsel. We will help you evaluate your available options and understand your rights. Our attorney and staff will keep you informed of any important developments in your case and will take the time to thoroughly and carefully answer all of your questions. Together, we will achieve the best resolution possible in your family law matter, so that you can move forward with your life.

Contact Us

If you are thinking about a divorce or facing another difficult family legal issue, we can help. The attorney and staff at The Law Offices of Tara R. Parker, PLLC, are ready to answer your questions, explain your options, and protect your rights.

Contact our Flint office today to schedule a consultation with Michigan family Attorney Tara R. Parker